A note about Jeff from Eric

Jeff will be a great dad for many of the same reasons he’s a great partner and best friend: he’s sensitive, creative, selfless, smart, and committed.

While Jeff graduated from one of the best colleges and law schools in the country, he chose to work in an environmental organization rather than to make “big money” as a corporate lawyer. The issue he’s always been most passionate about is protecting endangered animals. Several years ago, he started a program at his organization that works to help other countries set up parks and protected areas where endangered species can survive. He’s been very successful at his work and has received a lot of recognition including being interviewed on network news shows.

Jeff is easily moved to help anyone in need—people or animals. He is often the first person friends or relatives call for advice. For the last six years, Jeff has been a volunteer counselor at a local community center where he counsels people who are struggling with personal problems. I think he’s very good at this work because he gets Christmas cards every year from former clients thanking him for his help.

Jeff loves his friends and would prefer to hang out with them one-on-one to talk rather than go to big parties. He always wants to know how you’re “feeling” about things, not just what you’re “doing” in your life. After asking what I did during my day, he wants to know whether it was rewarding, what I enjoyed, and what was hard. I love this quality about Jeff, and I know his friends do too because he’s kept in touch with so many of them from high school and college.

Early on in our relationship Jeff told me that family is very important to him and he pictured having his own. I think this comes from the family he grew up in—it’s big, fun, and they love being together. I’ll never forget how quickly they made me feel a part of the family as soon as I met them. Every year his aunt coordinates a family reunion at her beach house on Lake Michigan with all of the aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, and grandchildren. We all play games (the annual softball game is a family tradition), hang out on the beach, and eat…a lot.

For Jeff, the highlight of the reunion is playing with all of his nieces and nephews. Jeff loves kids. And kids love Jeff just as much. They love his silliness and playfulness, but I think they sense Jeff’s caring and protective nature too. When we’ve traveled to other countries, I’m always amazed at how easily Jeff strikes up relationships with kids he can’t even speak to in English. I think Jeff’s playful and caring spirit comes across in any language.

I hope I’ve given you a sense of that spirit and that you decide to meet Jeff yourself.
Lamb 13’s mother couldn’t nurse so Jeff bottle-fed her the week we visited a friend’s farm. “Unlucky 13” followed Jeff everywhere that week. A year later, Jeff was devastated when our friends told us they sent 13 to market.