A letter from Eric's brother, Stephen

Dear Birth Mother,

I’m Eric’s younger brother, and I was excited when Eric and Jeff asked if I would write a letter on their behalf. Although I’m not married and have no children of my own yet, I take nothing more seriously than the responsibility of raising a child. I can’t think of a couple better suited for parenthood than they are.

Growing up with a learning disability, dyslexia, no one could appreciate more than me how patient and caring my brother is. School was never my strong suit like it was for Eric. But no matter how many times I asked him to help me with the same topic again and again, he always took the time to explain it to me patiently—never once making me feel bad or self conscious.

Even today, I call my brother when I’m confronted with tough questions in life. Because he’s always been my sounding board and source of support, I know my brother will be a great parent.
When I first met Jeff many years ago, I was a little intimidated. I had never met someone so knowledgeable in so many different areas. I wondered how I could ever hold up a conversation with a person as worldly as him. Oh, how wrong I was because Jeff is one of the easiest people to talk to. I’ve never met someone with such a genuine interest in everyone around him. He wants to know everything about you and hear your viewpoint on the world. I’ve come to think of Jeff as my second brother.

Eric and Jeff have a relationship built on a solid foundation of respect and love. I have never met two people who truly listen to each other and communicate as well as they do.

Eric and Jeff will welcome a baby into their family with more adoration and love than any child could ever know. And they will raise that baby with the kind of wisdom, patience, and understanding that I see them display everyday.

Sincerely,

Stephen