A letter from Eric's mom, Lorraine

Dear Birth Mother,

We hope this letter will help bring our son Eric and his partner Jeff closer to creating their own family. This will be my first grandchild, and I’m very excited to be a grandma. I love to sew and quilt and can’t wait to get started on all the things they’ll need for a baby.

When Eric told me and my husband, Harold, that he was gay, we were afraid that he might not be able to experience the joys of being a parent. We are glad to see that wasn’t the case.

Eric and Jeff will be great parents. Eric is sensitive and caring. And he couldn’t have picked a more kind and gentle partner than Jeff.

Their child will have four loving grandparents and a large number of adoring aunts, uncles, and cousins on both sides. We’ve met Jeff’s immediate and extended family, and they are so much like our family—very close and loving. Both families can’t wait to welcome a new baby, and for Harold and me, our first grandchild.

Most sincerely,

Lorraine